Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dinner

Dinner, it's a simple concept is it not? What would you like or how does this sound were common conversation starters regarding dinner in my house growing up. As you get older, I'm realizing it's not as simple as it used to be. You know it was cute when you wanted to help in the kitchen or watch something cooking just to be near mom or dad. Then it was nice to all sit down together and have family dinner time-no distraction and just talk about everyone's day and find out how everyone is doing and what activities are coming up. Now it just seems to be a struggle and an awkward time of the day. When you live with a roommate, it's hard to coordinate schedules or to bother eating together, but I try. I always find it interesting that when I make dinner one night, a few nights later (if not the next night) I feel like the roommate feels obligated to make dinner in return. Now mind you, I NEVER expect anyone to cook for me because I've cooked before. It just depends on my mood if I want to bother making a big dinner sit down and attempt conversation.

So the other night I made a beautiful dinner; ham steaks, mashed potatoes, corn, and corn muffins (yum, I was quite the chef that day). As soon as the roommate came out of her room I invited her to join me and she did (after pretending she hadn't realized I was cooking--um hello the smell, noise, and I had a boil over, oops), but whatever. Not to brag either but we have been roommates for 3years now so I know what she likes, really likes, and not so much. On the other hand--and trust me I'm VERY vocal about my likes and dislikes of foods (I LOVE sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash at the moment and I will always and forever HATE tomatoes due to a traumatic experience I had as a child ). Now when I cook I try to use things I know she will like or even go as far as getting all the needed utensils for her (like I did the other night), but for some reason everytime she cooks  there's always an item or two that just doesn't look appealing or ingredients she knows I won't eat. What the heck! I feel like I try and then I'm ignored for my efforts, I even got "I know you hate tomatoes, but you can try it if you want"...not as inviting as "Hey, I made dinner and there's plenty if you're interested!".

I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but keep in mind in the beginning of the year we decided nightly or even weekly what we might have and stand around and cook our designated item. It's not just that I miss that part, but now it's just awkward to help each other out and cook for the other. So tonight I'm thinking she thinks she has to make dinner because I did the other night. And it's broccoli and cheddar soup, which normally I would love! but knowing her cooking style I'm sure there are hidden things in it...

No comments:

Post a Comment